Year in and year out, one of the most consistently popular procedures performed at our Marietta, GA, practice is liposuction. Patients from Acworth to Roswell choose Plastic Surgery Center of the South for this highly effective treatment that immediately reduces stubborn fat. These areas may be due to family traits rather than a lack of weight control or fitness.
Even though liposuction is a surgical procedure, it can sometimes be performed by one of our board-certified plastic surgeons using a local anesthetic with sedation. It’s an outpatient procedure, which means you can go home on the day of the surgery. If you’re considering liposuction, I think knowing some interesting facts about the procedure can help you feel confident about the surgery.
Some fast facts about liposuction:
- It is the most common cosmetic procedure in the U.S, with more than 300,000 liposuction surgeries performed each year.
- Patients who want to lose weight won’t benefit from liposuction. It’s designed for women and men who are already at or near the weights they want to maintain.
- When patients are targeting larger areas, our surgeons use general anesthesia.
- The most common areas for liposuction are the abdomen, waist, hips, thighs, arms, and back.
- Several different liposuction techniques are available. Tumescent liposuction is one of the most popular. Others include dry liposuction, ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL), power-assisted liposuction (PAS) laser-assisted lipolysis (LAL). Each technique has unique benefits, but the skill of the surgeon is always more important than the technique used.
- Risks include severe bruising, inflammation, thrombophlebitis, and contour irregularities. The risk of complications is usually associated with how large the procedure is, as well as the surgeon’s skills and specific training.
Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of your body by removing excess fat deposits, improving your body contours and proportion, and ultimately, enhancing your self-image. Fat transfer procedures can also be used to enhance other areas of your body such as the buttocks or breast. Liposuction works best for people with good skin tone and elasticity, where the skin molds itself into new contours.
To discover how body contouring procedures can help your look, request a consultation with one of our specially trained board certified plastic surgeons. During a thorough examination, your expectations and realistic goals will be discussed and a plan of action set in place. Be careful not to put your body on the “Discount Rack” by choosing a surgeon based on the lowest price. The cost of liposuction varies from practice to practice and depends on the extent of the procedure, but choosing a surgeon based on cost might ultimately be the most expensive choice if you end up needing revision surgery. Choose your physician based on the surgeon’s expertise and experience. We always suggest doing your homework and getting a couple different consultation/quotes so that you can make an informed decision.
If you’re considering liposuction, contact us using the online form to request a consultation or call us at (770) 421-1242 to schedule an appointment.